That’s double the population of the United States without power.
Are you ready?
Here’s what happens when the grid fails. A lot of this is based on what happened directly after Hurricane Katrina devastated New Orleans, and the human reaction to the situation.
What to expect when the grid has been down 7 days.
Two days after Hurricane Katrina hit, New Orleans descended into a state of utter “anarchy.” TWO DAYS. Here’s what happens during day 1-7:
- Day 1-3 – Supermarkets only stock enough food and water to last about 3 days for their immediate surrounding areas. What supermarkets will even be open? People are not panicking yet – they believe the power will be on soon.
- Day 3-5 – People start to run out of food and water in their homes.
- Day 5-7 – Crime rates skyrocket. People begin leaving their homes in search of food and water at any cost.
What to expect when the grid has been down for 7-14 days.
14 days after Katrina devastated New Orleans, the area was called an urban warzone. Snipers were shooting at food and relief aid, bodies were laying in the street, and people were being raped, beaten, and murdered all over New Orleans. A lot of times, it was random acts of violent.
When left unchecked by law, order, and consequences, the human heart will prove the depths of its true depravity. Do not underestimate this. Humans are capable of every horror you could imagine.
- Day 7-11 – Gangs start to randomly emerge. Gangs arm themselves with whatever they can find, including your firearms, and begin roaming in search of food and water. Get in their way, and you’ll be killed – and your family likely raped.
- Day 11-14 – Police officers begin to turn in their badges. Some even participate in looting, but some head home to defend their own families and attempt to survive. People begin to realize that no help will be coming.
What to expect when the grid has been down for 14-30 days.
People are now starting to understand that the power may be out for a long, long time.
- Camps and “refugee” locations begin to emerge and anarchy continues
- Preppers with solar panels, generators, food, and water will begin to be targeted. If you’re prepping for a grid down scenario, its a good idea not to let a whole lot of people know.
- Gangs begin to become stronger and stronger and begin to set up “headquarters” and send systematically send out looting teams to bring back food, water, and anything else they find valuable
- A mass exodus from the cities towards rural areas will begin. People will be looking for farmland, livestock, and other food resources. If you live far from highways, great! If not, prepare now to defend off large amounts of people.
- You may be tempted to feel more relaxed and slip into a routine. Don’t let your guard down – security will be your most valuable investment.
What to expect when the grid has been down for 1 to 3 months.
Humanity will naturally begin to form groups and chains of leadership. Some groups will be acting out of moral values, but most will be acting with no conscience or moral rules. Assume everyone is a threat.
There is not a lot of data that will help anticipate what happens next. Leave your comments below with your thoughts.